Winfields Logo

Let us Sell Your
Shared Ownership Property

Home » Buyers » Sell Your Shared Ownership Property With Winfields

At Winfields Group, we help Housing Associations in the UK sell and market their Shared Ownership homes.

If you have any questions or need advice on Shared Ownership, our expert Thomas Winfield is just a call away on: 01803 320969.

Our Processes

Shared Ownership Associations We Deal With

Selling Shared Ownership Property eXplained

If you own a shared ownership property and are considering selling it, it’s essential to understand the process involved. Selling a shared ownership property is slightly different from selling a traditional property, but with the right guidance, it can be a straightforward and successful transaction. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps involved in selling your shared ownership property.

1. Understand Your Share

Before you can sell your shared ownership property, you need to understand your current share. Shared ownership typically means you own a percentage of the property and pay rent on the remaining share. Your share will determine the portion of the property you can sell. You’ll need to contact your housing association or property developer to obtain this information.

2. Check Your Lease Agreement

Review your lease agreement carefully to understand any restrictions or conditions related to selling your shared ownership property. Some leases may have clauses specifying that you need to offer the property back to the housing association or property developer before selling it on the open market. Understanding these terms will ensure you comply with your contractual obligations.

3. Get a RICS Valuation

Before putting your shared ownership property on the market, it’s advisable to get a valuation from a qualified surveyor or valuer. The valuation will provide you with an accurate assessment of the property’s market value, which will help you determine the asking price for your share. Dont worry contact Winfields Chartered Surveyors our Sister company and we will look after at

4. Notify Your Housing Association

Once you’ve decided to sell your shared ownership property, you’ll need to inform your housing association or property developer. They will have a legal interest in the property and may have specific requirements or procedures you need to follow. They may also have potential buyers on their waiting list who are interested in purchasing shared ownership properties.

5. Market Your Property

With the valuation in hand and approval from your housing association, you can start marketing your shared ownership property. You can use traditional methods such as real estate agents, online listings, and social media to attract potential buyers. Make sure to highlight the benefits of shared ownership, such as affordable homeownership and flexibility.

6. Find a Buyer

Once you’ve attracted potential buyers, you’ll need to find someone who meets the eligibility criteria for shared ownership. This typically includes having a household income below a certain threshold and being a first-time buyer or existing shared ownership owner. Your housing association can help you assess potential buyers’ eligibility and guide you through the sales process.

7. Complete the Sale

Once you’ve found a buyer for your shared ownership property, you can proceed with the sale. The buyer will need to undergo a financial assessment to ensure they can afford the property and meet the shared ownership criteria. Your housing association or property developer will handle the legal and administrative aspects of the sale, including transferring ownership and updating the lease agreement.

8. Moving Out

After completing the sale, you’ll need to make arrangements to vacate the property. Ensure you’ve packed your belongings and completed any necessary cleaning or repairs as per the terms of your lease agreement. Coordinate with the buyer and your housing association to arrange a smooth transition of ownership.


Selling a shared ownership property involves several steps, but with proper planning and guidance, it can be a straightforward process. By understanding your share, complying with your lease agreement, and working closely with your housing association, you can successfully sell your shared ownership property and move on to your next homeownership adventure.

For more information or assistance with selling your shared ownership property, feel free to contact us at your local branch.

Shared Ownership Scheme FAQ

Shared ownership allows you to buy a share of a property (usually between 25% and 75%) and pay rent on the remaining share, which is typically owned by a housing association. It’s designed to help individuals who can’t afford to buy a property outright.

Winfields Residential has extensive experience in guiding clients through the shared ownership process, ensuring that you get a property that matches your needs and financial capability.

Eligibility criteria can vary, but generally, you must be at least 18, have a combined household income that falls below a certain threshold, and either be a first-time buyer or a previous homeowner who now cannot afford a home.

Typically, you can purchase between 25% and 75% of the property’s value. The exact amount can vary based on your financial assessment and the housing association’s guidelines.

Yes, this process is called “staircasing.” Over time, you can buy more shares in the property, potentially owning it outright.

The rent on the portion you don’t own is typically set at a discounted rate and will be defined by the housing association.

Just like any other property purchase, you’ll need to account for mortgage fees, legal fees, and potentially a deposit. Additionally, you might have service charges and ground rent.

Yes, if you decide to move, you can sell your share of the property. The housing association usually has the “first right of refusal.”

We offer a variety of properties under this scheme, from apartments to houses. Our listings are constantly updated, so it’s best to check with us for current availability.

No, they are different. Shared ownership involves buying a portion of a property and renting the remainder. Shared equity involves buying a property with the help of an equity loan.

Generally, minor alterations are permitted. However, for significant changes, you might need permission from the housing association.

If you face financial difficulties, it’s crucial to communicate this early on. We can advise on possible next steps, which could include selling your share or seeking financial counseling.

Yes, you’ll need a shared ownership mortgage. We can guide you through this process and even recommend lenders familiar with the scheme.

Reach out to our team via phone, email, or visit our office. We’ll guide you through eligibility checks, property viewing, and the entire purchase process.

Typically, yes, but there might be a minimum percentage set for each purchase. The process and costs will vary based on the housing association and current property value.

Skip to content